Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Review: New Balance FreshFoam 980 Trail

Note: First review ever,  so take it for what it is.


NB 980 Trail Fresh Foam:

Scheduled for release July 1, 2014

I'll start off with thanking New Balance for sending me these sweet shoes for using their hastag #SeeMyRun .

Out of the box you notice the light weight. (Didn't weigh them, let's be realistic, they are light)

Looks are good but that shouldn't last long. They're a trail shoe, they're going to get dirty! Style is there along with some good color options (not depicted sorry).  No doubt this shoe is a close cousin to its road version.  

Tread is nice. Lugs are somewhat aggressive. Traction is great all around.  Gravel, rocks, mud. The lugs didn't get clogged with mud running through always muddy/swampy areas.  That should give you a little more confidence in the corners and hills. 

Cushion is pretty awesome!  Somewhat firm when you put them on, but take your first step and the ball of your foot is met with a pillow of soft.  Don't worry about them being too soft though, these Fresh Foam 980Trails have plenty of support for a stable ride.  Up hill, down hill, through the rocks, you'll be comfortable.  I even took a couple decent rocks to the arch flying down hill, no issue there.  Did I mention I was flying?  Top speed down hill in a rocky trail was a 5:30 pace (I usually avg a 6:45-7:20 on the road, good thing I didn't roll an ankle).  


For my first pair of trail shoes, I'm glad they were the Fresh Foam 980Trail from New Balance.  Never run a trail before getting them, but guarantee I'll be running plenty this Summer/Fall!


Pros:

Cushion

Traction

Stability

Looks

Everything


Con: 

Wish they were made in the USA like some of my other NB's.


No comments:

Post a Comment